In 2015, more than 17 million Medicare beneficiaries (31%) were enrolled in Medicare Advantage plans, such as health maintenance organizations (HMOs) or preferred provider organization (PPOs). Medicare Advantage plans are offered as an alternative to the traditional Medicare program. A state by state analysis provides a snap shot.
- One third of Medicare beneficiaries – over 17 million individuals – have chosen to receive their Medicare coverage through MA.
- Over 37% of MA beneficiaries have annual incomes of less than $20,000.
- Nearly one third of African American Medicare beneficiaries and 44% of Hispanic Medicare beneficiaries are enrolled in MA.
- 26% of all individuals dually eligible for Medicaid and Medicare are enrolled in MA.
- MA beneficiaries are satisfied – 91% of beneficiaries report they are satisfied with their coverage.
- 99% of Medicare-eligible individuals have access to a MA plan in their area.
- MA enrollment is projected to reach 30 million beneficiaries and 40% of Medicare by 2025.