The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) is discussing ways to modify the existing discharge planning process. The discussion includes leveraging discharge planner recommendations to use high-quality providers, and factors influencing beneficiaries’ choice of PAC providers. This is a must read.
HIghlights of the discussions include:
Leveraging Discharge Planners to Encourage the Use of Better PAC Providers
- Helping beneficiaries select better quality providers should be a goal of the discharge planning process.
- Providing hospital discharge planners with tools and authority to recommend high-quality providers to advance the goal.
- Identify high-quality PAC providers necessary to achieve the objective.
Prescriptive Approach for Identifying High-Quality PAC Providers
- Medicare-defined criteria
- Quality measures
- Levels of performance
- CMS notifies hospitals and beneficiaries of quality PAC Providers
Take a moment to explore MedPAC’s power point presentation.